It’s the hottest summer ever! Everyone wants to get outside and soak in the sunshine, but it helps to have fun activities that will keep us cool. No pool? No problem! We’ve compiled a list of inexpensive water games that you can play in your own backyard.
Water Balloon Toss
For this game you will need water balloons and an even number of players.
- Split into teams of two and give each team a single water balloon.
- Form two lines about 3’ apart, with each player facing their teammate.
- On the count of three, one player from each team tosses the water balloon to their teammate, who will try to catch it. If the teammate catches the balloon, their team advances to the next round, and each player takes a step away from their partner. If you fail to catch the balloon or it pops in your hand, you’re out—but at least you get a refreshing splash of water!
- The last team with a balloon full of water wins!
DIY Slip ‘n’ Slide
For this activity you will need landscape anchor pins, liquid soap, a water hose, a hill, and heavy-duty plastic sheeting (10’ wide and anywhere from 30’-100’ long).
- Run your plastic sheeting down the hill and fold it in half so that it is about 5’ wide.
- Pin the outside edges into the ground with your anchor pins, starting in the corners. Make sure your pins are fully driven into the ground and not sticking out, or they could be a safety hazard.
- Cover the slide in liquid soap and use the hose to spray it down with water.
- Have fun!
Water Relay Race
For this game you will need four buckets, an even number of players, and two plastic cups or two large sponges.
- Divide into two teams.
- For each team, set one bucket at the start of the race and set one bucket at the finish line. Fill the starting buckets with water.
- Have each team line up behind their starting buckets. The player in the front of each line gets a plastic cup or a sponge.
- On the count of three, each starting player fills their sponge or plastic cup with water and rushes to the finish-line bucket. Try to spill as little water as possible! At the finish line, each player squeezes or pours the water into the empty bucket.
- Next, each player runs back to the starting bucket, passes off their sponge or cup to the next teammate in line, and moves to the back of the line.
- Repeat until the starting bucket is empty. The team with the most water in their finish-line bucket wins!
With a few bucks and a little creativity, you can make your own refreshing fun right at home!